Saturday, September 11, 2010

Presentation for Girls on the Run


Working with my platform has been a ton of fun, especially when working with the Girls on the Run program at my school! I am the junior coach at the Idaho Arts Charter School and have been using my platform to teach girls the importance of healthy eating for a positive self-image. Girls on the Run is a group of elementary-aged girls that are taught how to live healthy and feel good about themselves by treating themselves and others with respect.

I taught the girls how to read food labels so they can choose foods that are best for their bodies. I came up with a grocery shopping activity that split the girls into groups and had them compare two of the same types of foods from different brand names and choose which one to potentially “buy”.

Those girls were so sharp and I could tell they really enjoyed the activity! I based my research and presentation board off of one of my favorite books, Eat This, Not That for Kids.

Later on in the GOTR season, I ran the girls and I ran at the 5k Barber to Barbra Race and my group finished in 30 minutes! Way to go girls!


No comments:

Post a Comment