Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Marsing's Annual 3rd of July Celebration!

When doing mock interviews and trying to establish what it was about Idaho that I valued the most, my hometown
of Marsing is the first thing that pops into my head. Marsing is a small town on the Snake River, known for its rural beauty as well as Lizard Butte and St. Chapell Winery (and of course, our family grocery store, Snake River Mart). These are all special trademarks to be known for, but the most special of all is the people within the community itself. Marsing has always been my home and plays a strong role of who I am today. Although I don't attend school there any longer, it is my safe haven and support group. Growing up, I have become so grateful to live in a town filled with generous and caring individuals and I had the pleasure of giving back to them on the 3rd of July. My wonderful voice teacher, who is basically a grandmother to me, brought her band, Freestyle, to perform at the celebration by the river at The Spot Pizza Parlor stage. The band did around three hours of nonstop great music of all different genres. I was able to sing three songs with the band as well! I sang my talent piece, "The Laughing Song" from the opera Die Fledermaus, "Starry Starry Night", and "Dream On". Many of my family and friends came to watch and support me, as well as my director Tami and her family! I felt very honored but also a little nervous to sing in front of the community that I have grown up with my whole life. It turned out to be quite a thrill and an experience I will hold near and dear forever. This may have been the most special appearance I have made yet because it was my way to say a big thank you to my community, whom I am so proud to represent and support. After the performance, the annual fireworks display done by Big Johns Fireworks and the Marsing Volunteer Fire Department put on a fantastic show, as usual:) Thank you to Susan Watson at The Spot Pizza for putting on this fabulous event, the band Freestyle for being so kind and loving to me.
To all of those who came, I love you all. Thank you Marsing.

Your friend,
Katy Lootens
MIOT 2010

1 comment:

  1. Was a wonderful and special evening...thank you, Katy and to everyone who put on the event - it was fantastic!

    ReplyDelete